Elliott beginnings: Elliott Post Office opens on December 19, 1901.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 1/01/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 574
On December 19, 1901, Elliott Post Office opens. John J. Borseth is the first postmaster. Mail is distributed from the Borseth residence.

The post office closed from September 30, 1907 until March 16, 1908. It resumed operations and continued operating until it permanently closed on November 30, 1928.

Elliott was located three miles south-southeast of Renton on the Cedar River along the Pacific Coast Railroad line. It is now (2000) part of unincorporated King County.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 665-666.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You