DAR places a monument in Mukilteo in remembrance of the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty on May 2, 1931.

  • By Margaret Riddle
  • Posted 12/30/2007
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 8445

At 2 p.m. on May 2, 1931, members of the Marcus Whitman chapter of the D A R (Daughters of the American Revolution)  unveil a bronze and granite marker commemorating the 1855 signing of the Point Elliott Treaty. The marker is placed at 3rd Street and Lincoln Avenue, Mukilteo. Some 3,000 spectators attend the event. About 300 are Indians and descendants of the treaty signers. Dignitaries speaking at the ceremony include State Senator Wesley Jones, Congressman Lin Hadley, Kate Stevens Bates (daughter of Territorial Governor Isaac Stevens), Governor Roland H. Hartley (1864-1952), Professor Edmond S. Meany (1862-1935) and Tulalip Tribes representatives August Duclos and Chief William Shelton (1869-1938). Three tribal members in attendance had been present the day the treaty was signed.

Remembering a Great Event 

The precise location of the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty signing is unknown.  Over the years, drastic alterations have been made to the Mukilteo shoreline as well as to the town itself and speculation about the original location usually brings up more questions than answers.  The earliest known attempt to mark and commemorate the event happened in 1919 when Clarence Bagley and Edmond Meany planned to erect a granite pylon in remembrance of the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty signing. The project was never completed and Bagley and Meany did not record the location in any published source.  But commemorative markers need caretakers and parks and schools are often good guardians.  Thus the Rosehill School lawn at 3rd Street and Lincoln Avenue in Mukilteo was chosen as an appropriate place by members of the Marcus Whitman chapter of the DAR. The marker was ceremoniously unveiled on May 2, 1931. 

Tulalip tribal representatives captured the most attention on dedication day.  Three Indians were introduced who had been present at the signing of the treaty: John Davis, nearly 100 years old; Bill Kanim, nephew of Chief Patkanim (d. 1858), and Charley Jules (1846-1935). Jules had been only 9 years old in 1855 and had understood little of what was being said that day, except as it was related to him through translators. 

Chief William Shelton further elaborated on the communication difficulties that treaty day. The Indians, he suggested, had mostly hoped for continuing access to their hunting and fishing places and they also wanted medicine.  August Duclos, superintendent on the Tulalip reservation, urged assimilation, asking that Indians be allowed to take their place in American life. Professor Edmond Meany brought a rare copy of the treaty to the ceremonies.  

The Unveiling

Robert Guss (1907-1985), great grandson of Chief Patkanim unveiled the monument along with Lillian Sinclair, granddaughter of Mukilteo pioneer Jacob Fowler.  Ardelle Gilman, DAR chapter regent, presented the monument to Governor Roland Hartley and Hartley officially placed the monument in the care of the Mukilteo school district. The text of the marker reads:

At this place on January 22, 1855,

Governor Isaac I. Stevens

concluded the treaty by which the

Indians ceded the lands from point

Pully to the British boundary.  Of the

one hundred signatures, eighty-two

were by Indian chiefs, headmen and

delegates of numerous tribes. The first

four recognized as leading chiefs of

their own and allied tribes were

Seattle, Patkanim, Goliah and Chow-

Its-Hoot.  The United States Senate

ratified the treaty on March 8, 1859.

Rededication, 2011

After years of debate regarding its fate, the 1928 Rosehill School building was demolished in December 2010. While the new Rosehill Community Center was under construction, the Point Elliott Treaty marker was taken down and stored.

On May 14, 2011, -- a sunny, breezy day -- members of the Marcus Whitman Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution held a ceremony to rededicate the Point Elliott Treaty marker. The marker is repositioned within 10 feet of its original site.   

May 2011 also marks the chapter's 100th anniversary.  DAR regent Candy Thoreson led the introductory proceedings, with Mukilteo Mayor Joe Marine giving greetings and a proclamation.  Other speakers included Sally Buckingham, past state DAR treasurer and current Regent of the Whidbey Island Chapter; Shawn MacAvoy, representative of the Samish Tribe; and Snoqualmie Tribe member Shelley Burch. A small crowd attended. 

The Point Elliott Treaty marker stands near the new Rosehill Community Center  at 304 Lincoln Avenue in Mukilteo.  


Sources:

“National Register of Historical Places: Mukilteo Light Station,” National Park Service website accessed December 17, 2007 (www.nr.nps.gov);“Dedicate Mukilteo Treaty Monument Today,” Everett Daily Herald, May 2, 1931, p. 1-2; “D.A.R. Chapter Unveils Shaft Commemorating Event,"  Ibid., May 3, 1931, p. 1-2; Margaret Riddle attendance and witness to rededicationon, May 14, 2011.
Note: This essay was updated on May 17, 2011.


Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You