On October 8, 1960, Group Health Cooperative dedicates its new hospital on Seattle's Capitol Hill. The 173-bed hospital, located on E John Street and 15th Avenue E, was financed by a fundraising campaign, Operation Zero Mortgage, that raised the entire $3.2 million cost of building the hospital.
Group Health Cooperative began providing patient care in 1947. By the end of 1960, it had more than 60,000 members.
Walt Crowley, To Serve the Greatest Number: A History of Group Health Cooperative of Seattle (Seattle: GHC/University of Washington Press, 1995), 104, 106.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You