During August 1960 construction begins on the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, the second bridge to cross Lake Washington and to connect Seattle with the communities on the Eastside. The bridge carries Stat Route 520 across the lake.
The first bridge, the Lake Washington Floating Bridge, opened in 1940. The Evergreen Point Floating Bridge is 1.4 miles long and crosses from Union Bay, located just south of the University of Washington, to Evergreen Point in the city of Medina. It took three years to complete.
Lucile McDonald, The Lake Washington Story (Seattle: Superior Publishing Company, 1979), 143.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You