Kerriston Post Office opens on November 23, 1904.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/25/1998
  • Essay 594
On November 23, 1904, Kerriston Post Office opens. James W. Kerry is the first postmaster. The postmaster owns the Kerry Mill Company and the mail is distributed from the company store. On January 31, 1935, the post office closes. Kerriston is located 27 miles southeast of Seattle about nine miles northeast of Hobart on the Raging River along the Northern Pacific Railroad line.

Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 685-687.

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You