On April 4, 1853, the first Island County Commissioners' meeting takes place in Coveland, the newly designated county seat, located on Penn's Cove northwest of Coupeville on Whidbey Island's east coast. The meeting is held at the home of Commissioner John Alexander. The other two commissioners attending are John Crocket and Samuel D. Howe.
Island County was one of four counties carved out of Thurston County by the Oregon Territorial Legislature. At the time, it included the future Island, San Juan, Whatcom, Skagit and Snohomish counties.
The first regular business for the Commission was a proposed road to Coveland from Ebey's Landing on the west side of the island. The board approved a petition for the road from Colonel Isaac N. Ebey (1818-1857) and 11 others. They appointed Ebey, Daniel Show, and Samuel Crockett to lay out the county road, as requested. They also appointed Hugh Crockett as sheriff.