On April 8, 1944, the North End Branch, King County Public Library, opens in a portion of a portable classroom at N 105th Street and Greenwood Avenue N. The branch will move to 535 N 105th Street in 1947 and in 1955 will become the Oakview Branch, Seattle Public Library. In 1976, Oakview will close when the Broadview Branch opens
In November 1942, King County voters approved formation of a county library, but the system lacked the funding to buy property and build a branch in the North End. The library could supply books, but the community had to come up with furniture and space. School District 51 provided a room in a portable classroom at the southeast corner of Greenwood Avenue N and N 105th Street. The community collected money for furniture and shelving, and the library came up with the wages for a custodian.
The school property and the building were purchased by the North Grove Lumber Co. and in 1947, the branch moved to a war-surplus frame building set on two lots at 535 N 105th Street purchased by a corporation formed by library patrons. King County moved in with the books and staff. The branch was transferred to the Seattle Public Library as Oakview Station. The branch closed in 1976 when the Broadview Branch opened.