In 1907, the Second Spokane Street drawbridge is completed, connecting Seattle to the newly annexed West Seattle. The wood structure has two 80-foot spans and a roadway 20 feet 4 inches wide. It carries vehicles and streetcars.
The low-level construction was highly problematic. Since the bridge also carried West Seattle's water supply, every opening required a laborious disconnection and reconnection of the water mains. When a ship or a boat traveled up or down stream, West Seattle went without water. By 1913, the need for a higher bridge became serious. In 1917, it was replaced by a larger and higher, but still temporary bridge.
Myra L. Phelps, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History, The Seattle Engineering Department 1875-1975, (Seattle: Seattle Engineering Department, 1975), 39-40.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You