On July 24, 1907, the City of Seattle annexes the City of West Seattle. The Seattle City Council passes ordinance 16558 that increases the city's area by nearly one-third, adding 16.34 square miles. The Town of West Seattle incorporated in April 1902 and grew by its own annexations in 1904 (when it became a city) and in 1907.
The annexation was the second-largest to that point for Seattle. The city had annexed a slightly larger area (16.94 sq. miles) in 1891 that stretched from Magnolia Bluff past Green Lake to Lake Union.
West Seattle's boundaries were: on the south by SW Roxbury Street, east by 1st Avenue S and north and west by Elliott Bay and Puget Sound. In October 1907 the Seattle City Council renamed the streets of West Seattle.
Myra L. Phelps and Leslie Blanchard, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History. The Engineering Department 1875 - 1975 (Seattle, Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 218, 222, 224, 232.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You