On December 12, 1997, the U.S. Navy ends years of wrangling among Seattle-area jurisdictions by issuing a formal "Record of Decision" that conveys its remaining property at the former Sand Point Naval Air Station to the City of Seattle.
The final debate over remaining U.S. Navy holdings at Sand Point began in April 1991, when the Pentagon announced its intent to surplus the 150 acres still remaining under its control. The Air Station operated from 1926 until 1970, after which most of the Lake Washington peninsula was conveyed to the City of Seattle for Magnuson Park and to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Several jurisdictions expressed interest in taking over the remaining Naval property and structures, including the Muckleshoot Tribe, Seattle Public Schools, and City of Seattle. The latter prevailed with a 1997 plan incorporating recreational, arts, and housing uses, with 10 acres occupied by the University of Washington.