On March 15, 1875, the Fanny Morgan Phelps Company performs Seattle's first Shakespeare play, "The Taming of the Shrew," at Yesler's Hall. Yesler's Hall is located at the southeast corner of Front Street (renamed 1st Avenue) and Cherry Street.
Bernard Berelson and Howard F. Grant. "The Pioneer Theater in Washington,"The Pacific Northwest Quarterly, Vol. 28, No. 2 (1937), 135.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You