From 1903 to 1904, Seattle's tallest building and first steel-framed skyscraper is constructed. The Alaska Building, located at the southeast corner of 2nd Avenue and Cherry Street, rises 14 stories high.
Eames & Young, a St. Louis architectural firm, with assistance by Seattle architects Saunders & Lawton, designed the building. The Alaska Building remained the tallest building in Seattle until the 18-story Hoge Building (705 2nd Avenue) was completed in 1911.
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects ed. by Jeffrey Karl Ochsner (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994), xxiii, 76.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You