In 1909, Seattle City Light installs an ornamental street lighting system, in preparation for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition.
World's Fairs, also called expositions or exhibitions, were often preceded by intensive infrastructural improvements. In Seattle's case, these improvements coincided with the extensive regrading of huge tracts of land in the commercial downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. New streets, and the promise of thousands of visitors, placed the city's image in the forefront of city planning and budget decisions.
Street lighting was a relatively inexpensive improvement. These decorative lighting programs replaced some of the earliest hanging arc street lights installed in 1905.
Annual Report of the Lighting Department for the Year 1911 compiled by J. D. Ross, Superintendent (Seattle: Lowman and Handford Co., Printers, n.d.), 61-62.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You