On September 1, 1871, the United States establishes a steamboat inspection office in Seattle. The office inspects steamboat engine boilers and the hulls of boats plying Puget Sound, as well as other Western Washington steamships. Isaac Parker is appointed the Inspector of Boilers. William Hammond, Seattle's principal boatbuilder, is appointed Inspector of Hulls. Each position is compensated $800 per year.
Parker served one year and Hammond served till 1880.
Thomas Prosch, "A Chronological History of Seattle from 1850 to 1897" (Typescript, dated 1900-1901, Northwest Collection, University of Washington Library, Seattle), 209.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You