The steamship Eagle burns while at dock in Winslow (later Bainbridge Island) on March 12, 1903.

  • By Anita Nath
  • Posted 9/08/2009
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 9149

On March 12, 1903, the people of Winslow (later Bainbridge Island) watch their first community-built steamship, Eagle, burn to the water’s surface while tied at dock. A year before, the Hall Brothers Shipbuilding firm moved from Port Blakely to Eagle Harbor and helped promote Winslow’s need for a ferry to shuttle residents around Puget Sound. Commissions to build the steamer poured in from residents themselves, thus creating a community-owned ferry. The Eagle will operate nearly flawlessly for the next three years until it burns down, bad luck, the superstitious believe, brought on by improper launching.

Miss Billings's Flowers

In 1900, Winslow residents needed transportation to and from Seattle. There had not been a regular means of transportation to the mainland from the Bainbridge Island area. In order to raise money to build a ship, residents sold shares in it, and one of these, a Miss Jessie Billing, sold the most shares and thus was given the honor of christening the Eagle on its first trip across the sound. Jessie Billings took a unique approach to the christening and chose to scatter a bouquet of flowers rather than break a bottle of champagne over the bow of the ship. Residents felt wary and some thought this would bring bad luck to the new ship.  

Being a community-established ferry, the Eagle’s maiden voyage was a trip to Port Madison free of charge to all residents. Everything ran smoothly while crossing the sound, but when the boat arrived, the engine started to act up, which produced a four-hour delay while the boiler was repaired. The residents were not worried and the Eagle made it back to Winslow, successfully completing her first run.  

A Healthy Eagle 

The steamer ran beautifully for the next three years, and was the pride and joy of the Winslow community. The Eagle made trips around the sound and between Port Blakely and Port Madison. She ran on a wood-burning steam engine. Captain B. F. Klunker commanded her. (He went on to start the first newspaper plant near the docks, publishing a paper called The Beacon.)

The revenue and trade that came along with the Eagle was fundamental to Winslow’s growth. During this time, a second schoolhouse and a post office were constructed and a volunteer fire department organized. Strawberry production and canning skyrocketed and helped bring funds to the island.  Population increased with the convenience of transportation and things were looking up for the little community. 

Burning Away

However on March 12, 1903, the superstitious residents may have thought they were right about Jessie Billings's christening by bouquet. In the wee hours of the night, The Eagle suspiciously burned completely into the water while tied at dock. More practical speculations circled around the fact that the steamer ran on wood and not coal, and therefore had constant flammable stacks of wood on deck. Because no source or cause was ever found in the burning of the Eagle, Jessie Billings’s strange act of christening lingered over the vessel as an ominous bad-luck charm.

The people of Winslow knew they had to act fast despite their grief and shock over the loss of the Eagle. To restore transportation and commerce, the steamer Florence K was built shortly after the fire. The ship proved to be as effective as the Eagle, but the significance of their first steamer was forever imbedded in the hearts of residents of Winslow. 


Sources: Darrell Glover, "Winslow? Now It's Bainbridge Island,"Seattle Post-Intelligencer, November 7, 1991, p. A-10; Elsie Frankland Marriott, Bainbridge Through Bifocals (Seattle: Gateway Printing Company, 1941); HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "Bainbridge Island (Winslow) -- Thumbnail History" (by Jennifer Ott), "The Hoskinson homestead Madrone (later Winslow) on Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island, in 1878" (by Jennifer Ott),"Winslow changes its name to Bainbridge Island on November 7, 1991"(by Jennifer Ott), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed August 23, 2009); Jack Swanson, Picture Bainbridge: A Pictorial History of Bainbridge Island (Bainbridge Island: The Bainbridge Island Historical Society, 2002); Katy Warner, A History of Bainbridge Island (Bainbridge Island:  Bainbridge Island Public Schools, 1968); “Report of The Steamboat-Inspection Service,” Reports of the Department of Commerce and Labor 1904-1912 (Washington, D.C: Government Printing Office, 1905), 377; "Winslow Now a 4th-Class City," The Seattle Times, September 3, 1947, p. 17.

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You