Lake Washington Floating Bridge is dedicated on July 2, 1940.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 1/14/1999
  • Essay 682
Beginning at 11:15 a.m. on July 2, 1940, dedication ceremonies are held for the Lake Washington Floating Bridge (also called Mercer Island Bridge). The bridge carries US 10 (later decommissioned and renamed Interstate 90) across the lake from the Mount Baker neighborhood of Seattle over Mercer Island to a point south of Bellevue. It is at the time the largest floating structure ever built, and the first to cross Lake Washington. In 1967 the Lake Washington Floating Bridge will be renamed the Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge.

The dedication went off with great fanfare. Two thousand people attended on the east side of the bridge. A ribbon was cut, and an urn containing water from 58 Washington streams and lakes was smashed against the side of the bridge. The Seattle Breakfast Club enjoyed its repast under the west approach, and an Army band played. Later there were swimming races, fancy diving, surf boarding, and water skiing exhibitions.

The bridge, designed by the engineer Homer Hadley (1885-1967), floats on hollow concrete pontoons, which was at the time an innovative technology. It was the world's largest floating structure and cost $8,854,000 to build.

Governor Clarence D. Martin paid the first toll to cross the bridge. Toll charges mostly applied to automobiles but included 35 cents for wagons drawn by one or two horses and 50 cents for wagons drawn by three or more horses. The bridge saved up to an entire hour of commuting time to Seattle.

The bridge had a sliding draw part (a bulge) that required traffic to make a sharp turn at high speeds. Because of this bulge, the bridge became notorious for accidents, some fatal. In 1981, the Washington State Department of Highways replaced the bulge with straight pontoons. In 1989 a parallel twin bridge, the Homer Hadley Bridge, was completed.

On November 25, 1990, during a storm, the bridge sank. It had been under repair and bridge workers had left open the hatchways to the hollow pontoons, which filled with water during the storm. The bridge was later rebuilt.

Sources: Wm. Michael Lawrence, "Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge," (Historic American Engineering Record HAER WA-2), Library of Congress American Memory Website accessed November 1, 2004 (; Judy Gellatly, Mercer Island: The First 100 Years (Mercer Island(?): Mercer Island Bicentennial Committee, 1977), 94. Also see: Lucile McDonald, The Lake Washington Story (Seattle: Superior Publishing Company, 1979), 141.
Note: This essay was revised on November 1, 2004.

Related Topics:   Bridges | Roads & Rails

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You