Mercer Island beginnings: East Seattle Post Office opens on March 1, 1904.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 1/01/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 586
On March 1, 1904, East Seattle Post Office opens. Frank F. Sandell is appointed the first postmaster. Mail is distributed from a building near the East Seattle dock.

On April 14, 1924, the town name East Seattle was changed to Mercer Island. Mercer Island is located five miles east of Seattle in Lake Washington.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 674-675.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You