Sherwood Post Office opens on July 29, 1892.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 1/01/1900
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 550
On July 29, 1892 Sherwood Post Office opens. Sherwood was located at a coal mine 23 miles east of Seattle along the Pacific Coast Railroad line. Wells Green is the first postmaster. On October 22, 1895, the post office closes for three and a half years.

On May 31, 1899, Sherwood Post Office reopened. Paul Bassen was the postmaster when it reopened. It continued operating until April 30, 1901, when it closed for good.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 642.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You