Donald McKenzie supervised the erection of a palisade of planks, 20 feet high and six inches thick. Bastions at each corner housed cannon and 200 gallons of water apiece in the event of siege. The establishment was dubbed The Gibraltar of the Columbia. Alexander Ross was the first factor for the post.
The Hudson's Bay Company acquired the North West Company in 1821 and in 1831, it rebuilt Fort Nez Perces. In 1841, the fort burned down and was rebuilt out of adobe brick.
The post was abandoned during the Indian War of 1855-1856. The site became the town of Wallula.