Adelaide Post Office opens on August 2, 1886.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/11/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 484
On August 2, 1886, Adelaide Post Office opens. George W. Cunningham is the first postmaster. Adelaide is located 19 miles south of Seattle along Puget Sound, about three miles from Dash Point.

Adelaide was a place of orchards and farms: The main products were fruits and vegetables. In 1889, 25 school aged children lived in the district. Adelaide had a sawmill named Martin & Co. It was on the Seattle, Lakeshore & Eastern railroad line, and there was a steamer to Tacoma.

The post office closed permanently on January 15, 1931.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 601; R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1889-90, Vol. 4 (Portland, OR: R. L. Polk, 1889), 560.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You