Renton Beginnings: Black River Post Office opens on January 21, 1867.

  • By Greg Lange
  • Posted 12/06/1998
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 421
The Black River Post Office is established on January 21, 1867, the same day Slaughter (renamed Auburn) and White River Post Offices open. Christian C. Clymer is the first postmaster and he operates the post office from his house.

The post office did not operate from October 23, 1868 till December 28, 1869.

The name changed to Renton on February 21, 1876. Renton is located at the south end of Lake Washington about 12 miles from Seattle. It was located near extensive coal mines and also became a center of dairy farming and orchards.


Sources: Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 559; Bureau of Statistics, Agriculture and Immigration, A Review of the Resources and Industries of Washington 1905 (Olympia: C. W. Gorham Public Printers, 1905), 138.

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You