King Gustav proclaims Seattle's Ballard Avenue Historical District on April 11, 1976.

  • By Patrick McRoberts
  • Posted 6/26/1999
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 1423
On April 11, 1976, King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden reads the official proclamation establishing the Ballard Avenue Historical District in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle.

He also dedicates the small park with its bell tower that stands on the site of Ballard's old city hall. The bell tower supports the original bell from that building.


Sources: Walt Crowley, National Trust Guide Seattle (New York: Preservation Press, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998); Passport to Ballard (Seattle: Ballard News Tribune, 1988).

Related Topics:   Celebrities | Scandinavians | Seattle Neighborhoods

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You