In 1919, Orthodox Jewish women who support the Zionist's desire to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine, organize Seattle Mizrachi Women's Auxiliary. They elect Libby Anches (1881-1978) president.
Anches led the auxiliary, which met at Bikur Cholim Synagogue, for 10 years. On December 12, 1940, the women sponsored the first kosher dinner in a downtown hotel, New Washington Hotel. In 1983, the national organization's name changed to Amit women. Today in Seattle there are three Amit chapters.
"History of Seattle Chapters Mizrachi," Mizrachi Women Papers (Accession 2014), Box 1, Special Collections, Manuscripts and University Archives, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You