Holyrood Cemetery, a Catholic burial ground, is located on the King County line north of Seattle within the present city of Shoreline. Acquired by the Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle in 1938, it was opened in 1953 when Calvary Cemetery (est. 1889), located more centrally in the Seattle neighborhood of Laurelhurst, was beginning to reach capacity.
About 25,000 persons are buried at Holyrood (as of 1999), including all the deceased Archbishops and Bishops of Western Washington. The cemetery comprises 80 acres of land, approximately half of which is currently developed.
David Wilma Interview with Richard Peterson, Director of Cemeteries, Archdiocese of Seattle, May 17, 1999; David Wilma Interview with Mark Simard, Superintendent, Holyrood Cemetery, May 19, 1999; Holyrood Cemetery (http://www.acc-seattle.com).
Note: This essay was updated in May 1999.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You