On May 25, 1898, Seattle's Moran Shipyard completes 12 175-foot steamships for service in the Klondike Gold Rush.
Construction began on January 1, 1898, along the Seattle waterfront at 1st Avenue S and S Connecticut Street (renamed S Royal Brougham Way). More than 2,100 workers were employed to build the ships.
On June 1, 1898, the vessels steamed away en masse for Alaska, from where the gold seekers would cross the international border into Canada and the Klondike gold fields.
Paul Dorpat, Seattle Now & Then, Vol. 1 (Seattle: Tartu Publications, 1984), Story 24.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You