On December 2, 1869, the Washington Territorial Legislature reincorporates the Town of Seattle. Seattle was incorporated once before, in 1865, and was governed for two years by a five-man Board of Trustees. The Territorial Legislature disincorporated the town in 1867 after most of the town's leading citizens filed a petition for dissolution. At that time, Seattle once again became a precinct of King County.
In the latter part of 1869, the citizens asked the Legislature for another municipal government, with a mayor and town council instead of a board of trustees. The Legislature reincorporated Seattle on December 2, 1869, issuing a new town charter that provided for a "more pretentious" system of government (Bagley, 546).
Myra L. Phelps, Public Works in Seattle A Narrative History The Engineering Department, 1875-1975 (Seattle: Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 225; Clarence B. Bagley, History of Seattle From the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. 2 (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1916).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You