West Seattle beginnings: West Seattle Post Office opens on August 6, 1889.
On August 6, 1889, the West Seattle Post Office opens. Charles M. Cooper is the first postmaster. Mail is distributed from the summit of the hill on Olympia Avenue (renamed 44th Avenue SW). On February 29, 1908, after the area is annexed to the City of Seattle, the post office closes.
- By Greg Lange
- Posted 12/13/1998
- HistoryLink.org Essay 520
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 620.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You