On September 24, 1911, the Sisters of Providence move from the aging hospital, designed by Mother Joseph in 1876, to their new state-of-the-art building at 17th and Jefferson streets on Seattle's Renton Hill. The Sisters served the community from what became known as the Providence Seattle Medical Center until February 2000, when the facility and nine related clinics were sold to Swedish Hospital.
The Federal Courthouse replaced the former wood-frame hospital at 5th Avenue and Spring Street in downtown Seattle. Both the Seattle Historical Society (now the Historical Society of Seattle and King County) and the Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation have installed bronze plaques beside the Courthouse steps to commemorate Seattle's first hospital and its founders.
Mildred Tanner Andrews, Woman's Place: A Guide to Seattle and King county History (Seattle: Gemil Press, 1994), 196-98; David M. Buerge and Junius Rochester, Roots and Branches (Seattle: Church Council of Greater Seattle, 1988), 72-75; Ellis Lucia, Seattle's Sisters of Providence (Seattle: Sisters of Providence, 1978).
Note: This essay was updated on May 12, 2002.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You