Address: 524 W Highland Drive, Seattle. John G. McFee (b. 1863) came to Seattle in 1890 and became a
successful railroad contractor and businessman. In 1909, the firm of Spalding
and Umbrecht designed for McFee a home sited on Highland Drive on Queen Anne Hill with a view of
Seattle and Mount Rainier. It combined brick and stucco with the half-timbering
of the Tudor style. One brick retaining wall and one brick terrace provided a
dual base that matches the lower lines of the house.
"The interiors reflect and carry through the formality and balance of the exterior, with excellent woodwork and trim and a number of Art Nouveau fixtures" (Kriesheim). The house was featured in Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast published in 1913 by the Beaux Arts Society.
The residence was designated a Seattle Landmark on September 2, 1980, because of its prominence in the area and its contributions to the identity and distinctive quality of the neighborhood.
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington;
Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 56.