In 1928, Broadway Market on Capitol Hill opens. For 30 years this market serves as a collection of independently owned small shops. At one time these included a creamery, florist, two delis, a fish market, a drug store, a beauty salon, two meat markets, a health food store, two fruit stands, a candy shop, two bakeries, a 10-cent store, and Norm's Cafï¿½, a favorite neighborhood hang-out.
The 1931 widening of Broadway did not effect the yellow brick market except to slightly skew the formerly parallel relationship of the street to the store. This can easily be verified by a visit to the sidewalk in front the market. At the south end of the store it is considerably wider than at the north end of the store.
In 1958, Norm (of the cafe) and most of the others moved out and Safeway and Marketime moved in. The windows were stuccoed over and the charm of shopping given a green glow under fluorescent lights.
More recently, the market has been enlarged and reopened as an arcade featuring again a variety of small businesses. The new and enlarged windows are also open again.