Seattle Landmarks: George F. Cotterill House (1910)
Address: 2501 Westview Drive W, Seattle. George F. Cotterill (1865-1958) was Seattle's mayor from 1912 to 1914. He was trained as an engineer and came to Seattle in 1884. He worked for Reginald H. Thomson (1856-1949) who became city engineer. Cotterill entered politics while promoting the municipally owned water system in 1895. Cotterill was one of the few Democrats elected to office and he served on the city council, in the state legislature, and on the Seattle Port Commission. He was an advocate of municipal ownership of utilities and a staunch prohibitionist.
Cotterill built his nine-room home on the west side of Queen Anne Hill to take advantage of a commanding view to the south and west. He had spotted the site when he surveyed the area for the city engineer. The house has two bay windows and recessed porches. Cotterill lived there until 1928.
The Cotterill House was declared a Seattle Landmark on October 23, 1978.