On February 11, 1905, William Pigott (1860-1929) incorporates Seattle Car Manufacturing Co. in Seattle and takes over the assets of his Railway Steel and Supply Co. Four months later, the company opens a small shop at Humphrey on Elliott Bay, on land leased from Seattle Steel Co., another of Pigott's businesses. Seattle Car will become Pacific Car and foundry in 1917, and PACCAR in 1972.
Seattle Car manufactured steel products and rolling stock for the logging industry. By 1908, the company prospered and Pigott made plans to move to a 120-acre site on Lake Washington near the coal mining community of Renton. On August 12, 1908, a fire totally destroyed the Humphrey (later Youngstown and West Seattle) plant. The loss of business forced the company into receivership, but it survived.
At Renton, the company began producing rolling stock for main line railroads. It became Seattle Car and Foundry Co. in 1911. In 1917, the company merged with Twohy Brothers of Portland and became Pacific Car and Foundry.
In 1924, stockholders agreed to a sale of the company to American Car and Foundry, which retained the Pacific Car and Foundry name.