On August 7, 1938, a Pan American Airways twin-engine "baby clipper" departs the Naval Air Station at Sand Point en route to Ketchikan and Juneau, Alaska, in an experiment with air service to Alaska. The Pan Am crew from Miami explores an "outside route" over water for the seven-hour flight to Ketchikan.
Pan Am established regular, freight-only Alaska Clipper service in June 1939, but made only 10 flights before switching to an "inside route" through Prince George, B.C. on November 9, 1940. In March 1941, the route was extended to Fairbanks and the flight carried passengers.
Sand Point was not the southern terminus of the route. Four-engine Sikorski S-42 flying boats were moored in a hanger on park land at Matthews Beach, just north of the Naval Air Station.
Naval Station Puget Sound at Sand Point (Seattle: U.S. Navy, 1993), 48; Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 4, 1938, p. 1, 2; The Seattle Times, August 8, 1938, p. 10.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You