On February 7, 1905, the City of Seattle enters into contract to sell the Town of Renton water drawn from Seattle's Cedar River Water System. The pipelines from the Cedar River system, Seattle's new water supply, pass beneath Renton on their way to Seattle.
In 1931, Seattle consolidated the pipelines into a new franchise in order to replace the 42-inch pipes with 66-inch pipes. Seattle paid Renton $30,000 in cash for allowing it to tear up Renton streets in order to replace the waterways.
Mary McWilliams, Seattle Water Department History 1854-1954 (City of Seattle: Dogwood Press, 1955), 16-18.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You