In 1869, Seattle's first Roman Catholic Church is built. It is called Our Lady of Good Help and guided by Fr. Francis Xavier Prefontaine (1838-1908) until its demolition in 1904. It is the third church in the village.
Fr. Louis Rossi purchased property for the church on the corner of 3rd Avenue S and S Washington Street during a brief visit to Seattle in 1858. Fr. Prefontaine arrived in 1867 and completed the church two years later. It was enlarged several times, and torn down in 1904.
Fr. Wilfred P. Schoenberg, SJ, A History of the Catholic Church in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, D.C.: The Pastoral Press, 1987); J. Willis Sayre, This City of Ours (Seattle: Seattle School District No. 1, 1936), 60.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You