Ferry Kalakala ends service on Puget Sound on August 6, 1967.

  • By Alan J Stein
  • Posted 6/02/1999
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 1213

On August 6, 1967, the ferry Kalakala is taken off the Bremerton run and removed from service. She is tied up at the Washington State Ferry yard in Eagle Harbor and is made available for sale.

Although she was still well loved by many commuters, the decision was made because of limited car capacity and expensive maintenance for her outdated engines.


Sources:

M.S. Kline and G.A. Bayless, Ferryboats, A Legend on Puget Sound (Seattle: Bayless Books: 1983), 229-247.


Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You