Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6770 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

The Royal Esquire Club sells its clubhouse to Seattle Public Schools on August 30, 1985.

HistoryLink.org Essay 9525 : Printer-Friendly Format

On August 30, 1985, The Royal Esquire Club, a private African American men's club, sells its clubhouse to Seattle Public Schools for 150,000. The sale is made to make way for the Bailey Gatzert Elementary School. The Royal Esquires will purchase a new clubhouse in Columbia City at 5016 Rainier Avenue S.

In 1952 the club had purchased a frame building at 1254 S Washington for its clubhouse. The Seattle Schools purchased the clubhouse, along with other property between 12th and 14th avenues and Yesler Way and Washington Street, in order to build the new Bailey Gatzert Elementary School. The transaction between the Royal Esquires and the Seattle Public Schools closed on August 30, 1985, with the purchase price of $150,000.  

The private African American men’s club was chartered by Washington State in 1948.  The founders envisioned a place for black men to socialize and contribute positively to the community in a collegial environment. There were no welcoming venues for them in 1948.  The men were Doyle Barner, Frederick Bowmar, William Childress, Freddie Ray and Joe West.

In 1985, after the sale to the Seattle Public Schools, the club purchased a pool/bingo hall in Columbia City at 5019 Rainier Avenue South. Here they continue to socialize, dance, and sip cocktails among friends.  Their contributions to the community have included thousands of dollars in scholarships to high school students for higher education, fundraisers for community projects and opening their doors to the public for educational and business workshops.

Sources:
Anny Chung Brothers, Property Management Office, Seattle Public Schools;   Mary Henry interview with Marvin Vanderhost; Royal Esquire Club website accessed August 16, 2010 (http://www.royalesquiresclub.com/).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Southeast Seattle |

Related Topics: Organizations | Black Americans | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay narrative is available in multiple languages
This essay made possible by:
The City of Seattle
Department of Neighborhoods


The Royal Esquire Club, 5016 Rainier Avenue S, Seattle, August 2010
Photo by Sharon Henry


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org

Untitled Document