Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Wawawai Post Office near the Snake River closes to prepare for the town's inundation on December 31, 1967.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7902 : Printer-Friendly Format

On December 31, 1967, the Wawawai Post Office closes to prepare for the town's inundation by a new lake formed by the damming of the Snake River. The town of Wawawai (rhymes with Hawaii) is located in Whitman County where Wawawai Creek meets the Snake River, three miles upstream (southeast) from the future Lower Granite Dam (first phase completed 1975).

Beginning in 1875 and through the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the community was one of the premier fruit-growing regions in Washington state. Before that the area was inhabited by bands of Palouse and Nez Perce.

The new Lower Granite Lake inundated the site of the town beginning in February 1975, when the first phase of the Lower Granite Dam was completed. The area became home to the Wawawai County Park.

Sources:
HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History "Wawawai" (by Phil Dougherty) and "Initial phase of the Lower Granite Dam on the Snake River is completed on February 15, 1975" (by Phil Dougherty) http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed December 26, 2006).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns | Vanished |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation


Tabor and LaFollette Ranch, Wawawai, Whitman County, 1897
Courtesy WSU Special Collections (Neg. 070515)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org

Untitled Document