William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6857 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Children's Orthopedic Hospital Association opens Fresh Air House on June 1, 1908.

HistoryLink.org Essay 4253 : Printer-Friendly Format

On June 1, 1908, the Children's Orthopedic Hospital Association opens Fresh Air House on property purchased on Queen Anne Hill. Sometimes called Fresh Air Cottage, the frame structure houses convalescing patients who have been operated on at Seattle General Hospital. There is room for 12 patients and a matron. In 1911, a three-story hospital will open next to the cottage.

Hospital Trustee Maude Parsons is credited with locating the property on Queen Anne Hill. As a member of the Association's Building and Grounds Committee, she traveled by streetcar all over Seattle searching out likely properties for a hospital to serve crippled children. At the suggestion of another trustee, Parsons climbed the stairs of the water tower on Queen Anne Hill where she could see the neighborhood. She spotted three vacant lots on Warren Avenue between Boston and Crockett. The location was ideal, being on streetcar lines and distant from the noise and pollution of downtown.

The trustees bought the lots for $5,500. Parsons entered into a contract with the board to build the cottage. Not all the neighbors were thrilled with the new institution and they combined to block the building permit before the Board of Public Works and the City Council. Dr. James E. Crichton represented the neighbors and state, stating that "the institution would be an offense to the residents of the vicinity by reason of the nature of the cases it will receive" (CHRMC Archives). The neighbors suggested that the convalescing children be relegated to the "Pesthouse" on Beacon Hill where the County lodged contagious disease cases. Despite neighborhood opposition, the permits were approved.

The children were cared for by nurse Mabel Hardie. At the time, crippled children were often kept out of school because of their disabilities. The trustees arranged for a teacher from the Seattle School Board to tutor patients. The trustees built a fence within the property line to allow planting of a hedge.

The hedge was to serve as "a screen for the children against any person who might be offended by the sight of them" (Minutes of the Board of Trustees, CHRMC) and would help keep out intruders. It also shielded children during construction of the new building. Fresh Air House served young patients until 1911, when a proper, three-story hospital opened on the same block. The cottage became variously a nurses' residence and an isolation ward. Children's Orthopedic Hospital moved to Laurelhurst in 1954.

Sources:
Minutes of the Board of Directors, Children's Orthopedic Hospital Association, Boxes 2-6, Children's Hospital Archives (Accession 3530), Manuscripts, Special Collections, University Archives, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle; Folder "Data*** Re: Founding of Hospital," typescript pages of notes and extracts probably by Emilie Schwabacher, Box 12, Children's Hospital Archives (Accession 3530), Manuscripts, Special Collections, University Archives, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle; Emilie B. Schwabacher, A Place for Children (Seattle: Children's Hospital and Medical Center, 1992).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Seattle Children's Hospital |

Related Topics: Health | Organizations | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center


Children's Orthopedic Hospital Fresh Air House, Seattle, ca. 1908
Courtesy Children's Hospital


Patients at Fresh Air Cottage on Queen Anne Hill, 1909
Courtesy UW Special Collections


Patients at convalescent cottage, Children's Orthopedic Hospital Association, ca. 1915
Courtesy Chilren's Hospital and Regional Medical Center


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org

Untitled Document