Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6807 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Landmarks: Kraus/Andersson House (1911)

HistoryLink.org Essay 3219 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: 2812 Mount St. Helens Place, Seattle. Industrialist Joseph Kraus built this three-story residence in 1911 on 1/6 of an acre in the Mount Baker neighborhood. It was designed by architect J.E. Douglas to resemble the daub-and-wattle, half-timbered buildings of sixteenth century England. It included eight bedrooms, five bathrooms, a living room, a dining room, a parlor, a billiard room, a ballroom, and a central stairway. The third floor housed servants.

"The ... residence is an especially large, grand house, with particularly well appointed and maintained rooms. Externally, it is an excellent example of the eclectic English half-timbered type of house frequently built by the early rich in the Pacific Northwest" (Landmark Preservation Board).

Originally, the house was to have Belgian glass, ordered after it was built. The glass was destroyed in World War I while enroute to the United States. Kraus was forced to settle for glass from Louis Tiffany in New York. The interior was featured in Homes and Gardens of the Pacific Coast publised in 1913 by the Beaux Arts Society.

From 1911 to 1978, the house passed through the hands of four families. During the housing shortage of World War II, sailors were billeted in the ballroom.

In 1978, Anders Andersson acquired the house and embarked upon its restoration. Andersson nominated the house for landmark status in 1980. The house is also included in the National Register of Historic Places.

Sources:
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington; Victoria Medgyesi, "The Mansion On The Hill," The Seattle Times, Northwest Living Magazine, n.d., 13-15, 28; Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 63-64.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Landmarks |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


Joseph Kraus House, Mount Baker neighborhood, Seattle, 2001
Photo by David Wilma


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org

Untitled Document