Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Green Lake Branch, The Seattle Public Library opens in August 1905.

HistoryLink.org Essay 1631 : Printer-Friendly Format

In August 1905, the first community library in Seattle's Green Lake neighborhood opens as a reading room in in a 24 x 30 foot, one-room frame structure located at Tahoe Station [near the 2004 Albertson's Grocery], along the electric trolley line.

Financed by Green Lake resident George K. Coryell and the Green Lake Improvement Club, the library began circulating books in October 1905.

Readers Overcome Mud

The library was built on pilings adjacent to Ravenna Creek at the Lake's outlet. A boardwalk led from the street and streetcar tracks to the library porch to protect readers from high water and the library from muddy boots in rainy weather. For the next five years this fledgling library, with its shelving for 5,000 books, served the entire community and its children attending three schools: the Green Lake School, the Daniel Bagley School, and the John B. Allen School. At its peak, an average of 125 books a day were circulated to 1,473 registered borrowers.

Sources:
Green Lake Reporter, September 14,1950; Seattle Public Library Conservator's Report: Green Lake Branch, Green Lake Library Archives, 1981; Floy Mathis, "History of Green lake Branch Library through 1940" (Typescript, n.d., in Green Lake Library Archives); Louis Fiset, "Green Lake Library," Metropedia Library,(www.historylink.org).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Education |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Green Lake library, Seattle, ca. 1905
Courtesy Green Lake Branch Archives


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org

Untitled Document