Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6808 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

The Walla Walla Library Association is incorporated on January 20, 1865.

HistoryLink.org Essay 8729 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 20, 1865, the Walla Walla Library Association is incorporated by the Washington Territorial Legislature and becomes the first library established for the public in the City of Walla Walla. A group of Walla Walla professionals, interested in literary culture in the new and booming mining town of Walla Walla, had formed a literary society and then took steps to establish a circulating library for it. Subscriptions were collected, books were purchased, and an accessible location for the library was found. But interest in this early regional library endeavor will not prove to be sustainable. The vision of a public library -- and eventually a free public library -- for Walla Walla would be realized later by other, similarly-minded individuals.

Books on the Frontier

The City of Walla Walla, which began as a small settlement around the U.S. military Fort Walla Walla in the late 1850s, became one of the most populous areas in Washington Territory after a gold rush in the early 1860s. The town that quickly emerged included farms, churches, schools, and various businesses. Although there were rough elements in the life of this frontier town, most pioneers who settled in and around Walla Walla desired to establish in the West the American culture that existed in the East. This culture included books and, increasingly, libraries.

An advertisement for the City Book Store in Walla Walla in 1864 boasted the availability of "Histories, Bibles, Hymns Books, Testaments, Gift Books, Poetical Works, Bancroft's Lawyer, Poetical Works [again!], Dictionaries, and a general assortment of miscellaneous works" as well as school books and the latest Western and Eastern newspapers ("City Book Store"). In addition to books, there was an interest in public educational events, such as lectures and discussions, and in making more books accessible to the public.

A Circulating Library

In 1864, a group of professionals in Walla Walla came together to promote literary culture in the city. They formed the Calliopean Society and, through subscriptions, created a library of some 150 books, which were kept in the office of the county engineer. On January 20, 1865, the society was incorporated as the Walla Walla Library Association. A constitution and by-laws were adopted and a board of directors was established. The first directors were Dr. A. J. Thibodo, R. Jacobs, J. H. Lasater, J. D. Cook, L. J. Rector, and W. W. Johnson (who was also the first librarian), and Dr. J. H. Day was the treasurer. The cost of membership was an induction fee of $5 plus quarterly dues of $1; others could use the association's circulating library by paying a monthly fee of $1 per month. The library's books and periodicals were kept in various locations downtown where they could be accessed during weekdays. The association initially met regularly for educational lectures, discussions, and debates, but interest in the association waned and it soon dissolved.

The idea of a literary society with a subscription library was revived in the early 1870s by a group of Fort Walla Walla officers, who formed the Walla Walla Library and Lyceum Association. In 1877, the association merged with the Walla Walla Association for the Advancement of Science and the next year built a small, one-story building downtown. This building provided space for the library and a reading room and was supervised by Walla Walla's first librarian, Margaret Welch. But interest in this library waned, too, and the building closed in 1887. The library was given use of a room in another building downtown, but by 1890 the library's books were simply being stored. Local businesses paid a small fee to maintain the reading room for young men. Walla Walla would not have a free public library until 1897, two years after the Washington State Legislature passed a law authorizing municipalities to start and sustain public libraries.

Sources:
Robert A. Bennett, Walla Walla: Portrait of a Western Town, 1804-1899 (Walla Walla, Wash.: Pioneer Press, Inc., 1980); "City Book Store," Washington Statesman, April 9, 1864, p. 3; "The Election of the Walla Walla Literary and Library Association," Walla Walla Statesman, April 7, 1865, p. 3; Frank T. Gilbert, Historic Sketches: Walla Walla, Whitman, Columbia, and Garfield Counties, Washington Territory (Portland, Oregon: A. G. Walling, 1882); "Library Association," Walla Walla Statesman, March 10, 1865, 3; W. D. Lyman, An Illustrated History of Walla Walla County, State of Washington (W. H. Lever, Publisher, 1901); Maryde Fahey Orr, "Development of the Walla Walla Public Library" (M.L. Thesis, University of Washington, 1953); "Walla Walla Library and Literary Association," Walla Walla Statesman, October 6, 1865, p. 1.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Education |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation


City Book Store, detail from map of Walla Walla, 1866
Courtesy Whitman College and Northwest Archives


Walla Walla, 1886
Courtesy Whitman College and Northwest Archives


Margaret (Welch) Center, Walla Walla's first librarian, n.d.
Courtesy Whitman College and Northwest Archives


Carnegie Library building, 109 South Palouse Street, Walla Walla, 1913
Up-to-the-Times Magazine, March 1913, Courtesy Whitman College and Northwest Archives


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org