William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6847 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Oak Harbor incorporates as a city on May 14, 1915.

HistoryLink.org Essay 8224 : Printer-Friendly Format

On May 14, 1915, Oak Harbor, population 401, incorporates as a city. On June 12, proud residents stage a parade of livestock, display a home baking exhibit, watch a talent show, listen to speakers, and enjoy a noon luncheon. Oak Harbor will soon see construction of a community cannery, and a ferry to Utsalady on Camano Island from nearby Strawberry Point will begin operation.

On Whidbey Island the communities of Coupeville (1910) and Langley (1913) had already incorporated as cities. Incorporation allowed residents to pave roads, provide drinking water, and supply other services important to growth and prosperity. Oak Harbor was a market town for local farmers and dairymen with daily steamer service to other points on Puget Sound.  

In May 1915, 308 residents petitioned the Island County Commissioners for incorporation. In the first election, pioneer and Union Army veteran Jerome Ely won the position of mayor, J. T. Rogers was city clerk, J. M. Pratt was treasurer, and H. Myuskens, H. Hulst, Frank Stallman, and J. R. Maylor became councilmen. They held the first council meeting in clerk Rogers’s offices in the bank. Since the new city had no money, Mayor Ely advocated fiscal restraint in his inaugural address.

At the big celebration on June 12, the Heller Band played and P. P. Custer, president of the Fruit Growers’ Association spoke to the crowd. Afterwards, luncheon was served for 25 cents a plate at the Byrne Hotel.

Sources:
Dorothy Neil and Lee Brainard, By Canoe and Sailing Ship They Came: A History of Whidbey’s Island (Oak Harbor, WA: Spindrift Publishing Co., 1989), 253, 261-262; HistoryLink.org the online encyclopedia of Washington State History, “Island County – Thumbnail History,” (by Daryl McClary) http://www.HistoryLink.org (accessed July 19 2007).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation


Oak Harbor Wharf, Whidbey Island, ca. 1905
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. WAS0714)


Barrington Avenue, Oak Harbor, 1940
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. no. WAS0037)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org