Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Biggs Rapids/Sam Hill Memorial Bridge, spanning the Columbia at Maryhill, opens on November 1, 1962.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7803 : Printer-Friendly Format

On November 1, 1962, the Biggs Rapids/Sam Hill Memorial Bridge carrying U.S. 97 over the Columbia River at Maryhill, opens to traffic. The bridge replaces a ferry that had run between Biggs Rapids, just south of Goldendale, and Biggs Junction, Oregon, since the early 1920s. The Sam Hill Memorial Bridge is one of 25 highway bridges (excluding railway bridges and an old footbridge) that today (2006) cross the Columbia.

The bridge includes a fixed, single-span through truss. (A through truss is braced both above the traffic and below the deck.) It is a two-lane highway bridge, 26 feet wide and 2,567 feet long. The vertical clearance for river traffic is 75 feet. The construction firm, Paul Jarvis Inc. of Seattle, built the bridge in two years. It was financed with $3.2 million in bonds.

On opening day, Washington Governor Al Rosellini (1910-2011), Oregon Governor Mark Hatfield (1922-2011), and highway officials from both states cut the ribbon on the Oregon side and then had lunch at the Maryhill Museum. The bridge is named in honor of the good roads advocate and founder of Maryhill, Sam Hill (1857-1931).

In 2006, plans are being carried out to replace the existing deck (made of lightweight concrete covered with asphalt) with a new concrete deck on this heavily used truck route. The cost is to be shared by Washington and Oregon, and the work will be completed in 2007.

Sources:
Craig Holstine and Richard Hobbs, Spanning Washington: Historic Highway Bridges of the Evergreen State (Pullman: WSU Press, 2005), 107-108; "US 97 - Biggs Rapids - Sam Hill Bridge Deck Replacement," WSDOT website accessed June 11, 2006 (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/US97/BiggsBridge/).
Note: This essay was updated on August 14, 2011.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Bridges |

Related Topics: Roads & Rails | Washington Rivers |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT)


Biggs Rapids/Sam Hill Memorial Bridge, Maryhill, September 26, 2004
Photo by Lyn Topinka


Biggs Rapids/Sam Hill Memorial Bridge, Maryhill, July 5, 2003
Photo by Lyn Topinka


Maryhill Ferry, Columbia River, 1950s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org