Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Father Pandosy establishes the Immaculate Conception Mission on Manastash Creek in the Kittitas Valley in July 1848.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7496 : Printer-Friendly Format

In July 1848, Father Charles M. Pandosy (1824-1891) establishes the Immaculate Conception Mission on Manastash Creek in the Kittitas Valley. Pandosy is a Catholic Missionary Oblate of Mary Immaculate. He operates the one-room mission until September 1849.

Making Do

Father Pandosy, along with fellow Oblate Missionary Eugene Casmire Chirouse (1821-1892), had only just been ordained a priest. Bishop Augustin Magloire Blanchet (1797-1887) ordained Chirouse and Pandosy at Fort Walla Walla on January 2, 1848.  (Bishop Blanchet was the brother of Bishop F. N. Blanchet.)

Although an ordination was a solemn event, the vicissitudes of daily life in a Territorial stockade required improvisation.  Father Ronald Young describes the scene in his Ph.D. dissertation on the Missionary Oblates:

“While attempting to maintain all the solemnity that the occasion required, but lacking some of the vestments, Brother Chirouse had to use one of Mr. McBean’s long nightshirt as an alb. [An alb is a long white robe worn by a priest at Mass.]  As there had been no time to build any churches, they were ordained in the temporary residence of the Bishop.  It was the same room that served as his chapel, refectory, recreation room, meeting hall, and dormitory” (p.75). 
Chirouse and Pandosy were the first Catholic priests ordained in the future Washington Territory.

In December 1847 Yakama chief Owhi (d. 1858) visited Fort Walla Walla and asked that missionaries be sent to his people. In response Brother George Blanchet (1821-1906) and another missionary, Brother Celestine Verney, traveled to the Kittitas Valley. In early 1848 they started building a small structure on Manastash Creek to serve as a mission, but were unable to complete the work.  On July 6, 1848, Blanchet, Verney, Chirouse, Pandosy, and two workmen returned to the site and resumed construction.  The Immaculate Conception Mission, like the other Oblate missions in the Yakima Valley, were by necessity simple structures.  Father Young describes them as “little more than wilderness huts, crude and uninviting ... a one-man hovel” (p.85). 

Taking advantage of a clause in the Oregon Territorial Organic Act of 1848 that allowed missionaries with settlements among the Indians to claim up to 640 acres, on November 20, 1848, Father Pandosy filed a claim for the 640 acres surrounding Immaculate Conception Mission. 

Difficulties and Hard Times

Although Pandosy’s mission had land, at least on paper, he was low on funds.  Pandosy kept up a regular missionary circuit into the Yakima Valley and back to Immaculate Conception during the period between 1848 and 1849.  On one trip he fell off of his horse and broke his shoulder.  So great was his poverty during this time that he reportedly walked from Immaculate Conception to Fort Walla Walla barefoot. 

Perhaps as a result of these pressures his mental health seems to have declined.  On August 14, 1849, Father Chirouse stopped in at Immaculate Conception.  Father Young’s dissertation  recounts, “What he found shocked him. The bearded Pandosy was close to starving, his cassock was in tatters and he had been abandoned by all the natives.  Although he had plenty of food, it became apparent that he was unable to take care of himself” (p. 93). Pandosy’s relations with the Indians had deteriorated to the point where one Walla Walla Indian threatened him with a knife during an argument. Chirouse nursed Pandosy back to health and in September 1849 took him to the Holy Cross Mission in the Yakima Valley.

Mission Structure and Mission

Thereafter, travelers seeking shelter used the Immaculate Conception Mission structure. Eventually it deteriorated to the point that the logs of which it was constructed were burned as firewood.

In 1855 Pandosy served as an interpreter for the Kittitas Indians during negotiations with the United States government, writing letters to officials on their behalf. 

During the summer of 1856, Pandosy once again preached near Immaculate Conception, serving the spiritual needs of both Indians and the United States soldiers during the encampment of Major Granville Haller (1819-1897) in the Kittitas Valley.

In July 1879, Bishop Augustin Magloire Blanchet filed an affidavit in order to reclaim the land for Catholic use.

Sources:
Ronald Wayne Young, O.M.I., “The Mission of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate to the Oregon Territory (1847-1860)” (Ph.D. diss., Pontifica Universitas Gregoriana, Romae, 2000); Wilfred P. Schoenberg, S.J., A History of the Catholic Church in the Pacific Northwest, 1743-1983 (Washington, D.C.: The Pastoral Press, 1987); “History of the Donation Land Act of 1850,” Native News Online website accessed September 29, 2005 (http://nativenewsonline.org/history/hist0927c.html); Charles Pandosy, Lewis County Land Claim, 20 November 1848, Provisional Government, Recorder Land Claims Records, 1845-1849, vol. 8, 148, Archives Division, Oregon Secretary of State, Salem; Kittitas Frontiersmen ed. by Earl T. Glaurert and Merle H. Kunz (Ellensburg, WA: Ellensburg Public Library, 1976), p. 83; New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia, "Augustun Magloire Blanchet" and "Francious Norbert Blanchet," http://www.newadvent.org/ (accessed November 14, 2005).
Note: This essay was corrected on November 19, 2005.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Northwest Indians | Religion |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation


Father Charles M. Pandosy, OMI (1824-1891), ca. 1880
Courtesy Charles M.Pandosy, OMI, A Missionary Of The Northwest


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org