Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6891 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Physicians purchase Seattle's Medical Security Clinic, a prepaid practice soon to become part of Group Health Cooperative, on September 27, 1945.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7410 : Printer-Friendly Format

On September 27, 1945, a group of idealistic physicians purchase Seattle's Medical Security Clinic, a prepaid practice soon to become part of Group Health Cooperative. The Medical Security Clinic has an enrollment of some 20,000 individuals, mostly workers building ships and airplanes for the war effort (World War II). The values and practices of the clinic, including physicians sharing expertise and cooperating in the care of patients, an emphasis on preventive care, and the very idea of prepaid medical care, is opposed by the local branch of the American Medical Association, the King County Medical Society.

Post-War Medicine

The owner of the clinic, a nonphysician named Leslie G. Pendergast, sold the facility to his own physicians. Pendergast was concerned that the war's end would also end his defense industry contracts. He was glad to sell his clinic and its hospital (St. Luke's on Capitol Hill) to his doctors. They were:

  • Dr. George W. Beeler

     

  • Dr. Lester L. Long

     

  • Dr. Charles E. Maas

     

  • Edgar N. Layton

     

  • Dr. E Janson

     

  • Dr. Rod Janson

     

The doctors wanted a popular base and shared Pendergast's concern that the end of wartime production would cause enrollment to drop.

Of Like Minds

At the same time, the Group Health Cooperative was forming, with similar ideals (and also in the face of the adamant opposition of the King County Medical Society). Group Health had patients, but no doctors. The Medical Security Clinic had doctors and an established practice, but one likely to go into decline. Both organizations had visionary ideals that objected to a health care system set up to mainly serve the bank accounts of doctors in private practice.

In March 1946, the Medical Security Clinic's pediatrician, William "Sandy" MacColl, M.D., met Group Health Cooperative lawyer, Jack Cluck, at an East Side forum on health care reform. The two health care visionaries hit it off and began talks. In little more than a year, Group Health would purchase the Medical Security Clinic and St. Luke's Hospital, and the physicians of the Medical Security Clinic would become Group Health's first doctors.

Sources:
William A. MacColl, Group Practice and Prepayment of Medical Care (Washington, D.C.: Public Affairs Press, 1966); Walt Crowley, To Serve the Greatest Number: A History of Group Health Cooperative of Seattle (Seattle: GHC/University of Washington Press, 1995), 24-29.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Group Health |

Related Topics: Health | Organizations |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Group Health Cooperative


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org