Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6807 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Washington State Legislature changes the name of Clarke County to Clark County on December 23, 1925.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5234 : Printer-Friendly Format

On December 23, 1925, an official act of the Washington State Legislature changes the name of the state's oldest county from Clarke to Clark. The change corrects a spelling mistake made by the first Washington Territorial Legislature in 1854, and makes the spelling of the county's name consistent with the name of the man it honors - Captain William Clark (1770- 1838) of the Lewis and Clark expedition.

On August 20, 1845, the Provisional Legislature of Oregon Territory designated the part of Oregon lying north of the Columbia River, which would later become the state of Washington, as Vancouver District, the forerunner of Clark County. On December 21, 1845, that Legislature changed the name of Vancouver District to Vancouver County, and divided the area, naming the western portion Lewis County in honor of Captain Meriwether Lewis (1774-1809).

Three years later, on September 3, 1849, the Oregon Territorial Legislature enacted a law changing the name of Vancouver County to honor William Clark, who along with Lewis led the Corps of Discovery over the Rocky Mountains and down the Columbia River. That law spelled Clark County without an "e." However, after Washington Territory was carved out of Oregon Territory in 1853, the new Territory's Legislature began referring to Clarke County with an "e" at the end. Early newspapers, including the Columbian, Pioneer, and Pioneer and Democrat also used the final "e."

The spelling Clarke County persisted long after Washington became a state in 1889. In his history of Washington geographic names, published in 1923, eminent early Washington historian Edmond S. Meany stated that "[w]hile attention has often been called to the blunder in late years no effort at legal correction has apparently been made" (Meany, 49). Meany wrote "[t]he blunder is one of ignorance, but is probably now too deeply imbedded in law, literature and custom to be completely corrected" (Meany, 48).

Professor Meany proved unduly pessimistic, or perhaps the comments in his book had an effect. Two years later, on December 23, 1925, an official act of the Washington State Legislature changed the name of Clarke County back to Clark County, the name it was first given in 1849.

Sources:
Robert Hitchman, Place Names of Washington (Washington State Historical Society, 1985), 49-50; Edmond S. Meany, Origin of Washington Geographic Names (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1923), 48-49.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Government & Politics |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




William Clark (1770-1838), ca. 1810
Portrait by Charles Willson Peale, Courtesy National Park Service


Clarke County Courthouse, Vancouver, 1910s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org