William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Northern Pacific Railroad establishes Pasco on November 28, 1884.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5194 : Printer-Friendly Format

On November 28, 1884, the Northern Pacific Railroad establishes Pasco at the confluence of the Columbia and Snake rivers. Northern Pacific Engineer Virgil G. Bogue (1846-1916) names the site after the Andean mining town of Cerro de Pasco in Peru, which was also windy and dry.

In 1879, the Northern Pacific began construction on a bridge across the Snake River and built the town of Ainsworth on the north bank. In 1883, Franklin County was created out of Whitman County and the county seat was set at Ainsworth. In 1884, the bridge was finished and the Northern Pacific abandoned the town, moving its operations and buildings two miles up the Columbia.

The new location (Pasco) served as a junction between the rail lines from Seattle and Tacoma, Portland, and Spokane. The railroad built a one-stall roundhouse for steam locomotives and housing for employees. A ferry landing with tracks allowed cars to be transported across the river to Kennewick until a bridge took over traffic in 1889. The landing was called Hummely and Melton before Bogue picked the name of Pasco. The company housing was painted Indian red with a bottle-green trim, and the street became Red Row.

The county courthouse moved to Pasco in 1887 and Ainsworth was officially "vacated, set aside and annulled" (Oberst, 17) in 1898.

Sources:
Walter A. Oberst, Railroads, Reclamation And the River, A History of Pasco, (Pasco: Franklin County Historical Society, 1978), 6-7, 15-19.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns | Roads & Rails |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Ainsworth, ca. 1885
Courtesy Yakima Valley Museum (Image 2002-850-786)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org