Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6820 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Children's Orthopedic Hospital opens on September 8, 1911.

HistoryLink.org Essay 4254 : Printer-Friendly Format

On September 8, 1911, Children's Orthopedic Hospital opens in a brick, three-story building on Warren Avenue near Crockett Street on Queen Anne Hill. The structure is built with funds raised by the trustees of the Children's Orthopedic Hospital Association and has 29 beds. The trustees will eventually add another floor (1921), a new wing (1928), and a three-story nurses' residence (1924). In 1954, the hospital will move to Laurelhurst where it will eventually become Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center.

In 1907, 23 women gathered to form the Children's Orthopedic Hospital Association to provide for the medical needs of crippled children. With funds solicited from supporters and with doctors who donated their time, the trustees began with seven beds in the maternity ward at Seattle General Hospital. In 1908, the trustees opened the 12-bed Fresh Air Cottage on Queen Anne. The new hospital was designed by Seattle Architect Marbury W. Somervell (1872-1939).

After the hospital moved to Laurelhurst in 1954, the Queen Anne building was sold to King County and operated as a unit of the County Hospital. In the 1980s, the building became Queen Anne Manor, an assisted living residence for senior citizens.

Sources:
Emilie B. Schwabacher, A Place for Children (Seattle: Childrens Hospital and Medical Center, 1992).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Seattle Children's Hospital |

Related Topics: Health | Organizations |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Children's Orthopedic Hospital, east side, 1911
Courtesy Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center


Old Children's Orthopedic Hospital (1911), 2001
Photo by David Wilma


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org