Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6891 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Woodland Park Zoo opens in 1904.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3277 : Printer-Friendly Format

In 1904, the Woodland Park Zoo opens. The zoo is located in North Seattle on the west side of Green Lake, north of the Fremont neighborhood on Phinney Ridge. It comprises land and a menagerie purchased by the City of Seattle from Nellie Phinney (d. 1909), widow of Guy Phinney (1852-1893).

Guy Phinney and other developers had bought the clear-cut land in the 1880s and began promoting home sales. Phinney built a private park and menagerie on his "Woodland Park" estate and established a streetcar line from Fremont to the park's entrance off N 50th Street.

Phinney died in 1893, and his widow Nellie tried to keep up the property but finally sold it to the City of Seattle in 1899 for $100,000.

The zoo opened with additional animals acquired from the Leschi Park menagerie. In 1910, the Olmsted brothers designed very cramped bear pits and cages.

These inhumane quarters were eventually done away with, and in 1976 zoo director David Hancocks worked with architects from Jones & Jones to develop a radical new plan for presenting animals in spacious exhibits emulating their natural habitats, which have since won major awards and set a new standard for zoos around the world

Sources:
Walt Crowley with Paul Dorpat (Photography Editor), National Trust Guide: Seattle (New York: John Wiley & Son, Inc., 1998), 192-194.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Environment | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods

Click here to play
Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, 1938 (silent film)
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives (Archive Item No. 532)


Animal cages at Woodland Park Zoo, 1900s
Postcard


Bear Pit at Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, 1900s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org